Saturday, February 2, 2013

Resolutions and Follow Ups!!

Resolutions . . . 
Of course we're gonna talk about them in February.  
I can't exactly recall how I decided on some of these goals and 
wow over the course of January they have changed.  
They also a lovely chat with a fantastic relative about 
the reality of motherhood. 
 I think that this has been an important learning experience.  
I started with my original goals and over the month 
I allowed them to morph into goals that were a little different 
(mostly just more attainable/reasonable 
with the basic concept still there).  
I realized early in the month that as we moved into a 
comfortable routine they may change a bit!!  
After all I've never had three kids before!!

I'm not going to go into details about how my goals 
looked originally, here's my list as they stand.
(I am going to continue to let them morph just a bit!)

Spiritual
Read a Chapter of the Old Testament Every night.
Choosing more spiritual Entertainment.

Educational
Learn a new quilt pattern
Learn how to Make Bread/Rolls/Tortilla's 
and Laundry Detergent

Financial
Cut back on Grocery Bills, 
Stick closer to the budget,
Pay Off the VAN!!
(we are so close already!)
Physical
Exercise 6 days a week with the girls
Brush and Floss my teeth every day twice a day

Family
More Meaningful and Planned Family Home Evening.
Find Creative ways to curb the screaming!
(from everyone but especially me)

Now we went over our goals for a Family Home Evening 
one night and the girls also made goals for me to help them with.
(thank goodness I have all year to work on some of this!!)

They include some things like 
Ms. A learning all the songs for the Primary Presentation 
and Passing her Swimming class next session!  
Ms. E getting Potty Trained. (Yikes!!)
Mr. T gets to learn how to crawl and walk 
(ha ha not helping one bit on this one!!) 

Shane also has some goals in which I have a role, 
like getting 100% Home teaching 
(meaning I need to be around to watch the kiddo's at night) 
and only spending $25/month on lunches at the school. 
(meaning I help him get his hiney out of 
bed on time to make a lunch!)

This is such a daunting task when I look at it all together,
and I'm always grateful for a little divine intervention 
that diffuses some of the chaos around our home these days!!

Now for a little bit of fun,

FOLLOW UP TIME!!

So I am almost completely finished our BOB 
you can read my last update here.
All we are missing for the BOB's is 
a few larger more expensive Items like 
Crank radio's and carbon straws.

Our Document folder is almost complete as well Except for a 
WILL!!
(still trying to convince Shane it's 
not super depressing to take on)

The other fantastic update is 
FAMILY HISTORY!

Of my Three Goals here I feel I have at least made 
some progress on each one!

My favorite was going through the box of originals from my Dad!
He has some super exciting documents/copies of documents.

When we started getting into Family history a bit more we went 
to see a family history consultant which was really fun 
and a bit eye opening as to where we should start 
on each line in our family.

They had also invited me to come scan/copy all of 
Dad's documents on her fantastic photocopier!
However we had a hiccup as soon after she was hospitalized 
and is still not doing very well.

In a surprising turn of events our printer died and we ended up 
investing in  a printer/scanner/copier combo which will 
allow us to do all that work!!

I also just took Mr. T out to the farm to meet my grandparents 
and took the time to ask grandma about her early life 
and some of the stories she remembers.  
We took a Dictaphone and I'm in the process 
of transcribing them for everyone. 
( I will probably give everyone copies for 
Easter Presents, that's the goal anyway).

I'm still amazed by how much I learn when I just ask even my parents.
That same visit I asked my dad what his grandpa did for a living. 
(I knew Grandma Grew up in Calgary but I had no idea 
what her dad did or how she and Grandpa met!)

Turns out He was a delivery driver for CP rail and we 
even have a photograph of him standing beside the delivery truck. 
This also launched my dad into telling a story about his mother 
and her siblings stealing watermelon from the rail yard, 
and bringing out a book of photo's of all kinds 
that I had no recollection we had.  

Look at all the resources I found just by opening my mouth!

We even have a picture of Grandpa during the war 
with his para trooping unit!  
Where was this when I was trying to explain to Ms. A 
what a soldier was around Remembrance day!!

These goals obviously are still standing until I finish the BOB's 
and hit brick walls with the family history.

Now that I have all the progress written down 
I am a bit proud of the progress I made this year on these goals!!

This has been quite a post!! wow ITS a NOVEL!!

So to make it up to you . . . I promise my next post will be 
filled with pictures!!
(after all it's about the girls new bunk beds, 
and the adventure they are having getting 
used to sharing a room)









No comments:

Post a Comment