So there has been a lot on my mind these past weeks since Valentines Day.
Some especially emotional days (post possibly to come).
One very fulfilling evening was the
Relief Society Emergency Preparedness Night.
I talked a little bit about My Trip into Emergency Preparedness
and Introduced some things that I had put in Ms. A's Grab and Go bag.

If you haven't heard this concept it is pretty simple.
It is an extension of a 72 hour kit.
It is a bag designed specifically for an emergency.
Stashed with food and clothes for a number of days and
other emergency supplies that might be needed.

What got me thinking about this?
Last year we were evacuated from our home.
I was grateful that we had been thinking about leaving
far before the evacuation began.
We headed for Raymond to stay with Shanes mom for the night.
My brain DID NOT function well that night,
trying to remember everything the girls would need.
In the end we did not seem to be without anything,
but it would have been much simpler if I had been PREPARED.
So New Years resolution,
Begin preparing Grab and Go bags for the Family.
Here's what I have to show (so far) Ms. A's bag is still missing some items
which I will list at the end, along with many of the wonderful blogs
that I researched for ideas about what to put in this lovely bag!!
I was certainly amazed at what I could fit!!
I was glad for a backpack with three pockets.
1. clothes/diapers and equipment
2. food
3. entertainment
plus room on the outside for some other items.
1. Clothes
Still needing 1 more shirt and 1 more set of pj's
ps. the white bag is Training Pants.
We're still training, there were many reasons to add this
to my bag even if Ms. A had been trained for months.
It is easy to revert in stressful situations and
there are a myriad of reasons they may just refuse.
2. Food
Snacks
Shane and I are planning on carrying extra water,
and Ms. A will also eventually get a Filtering Straw
so she can drink from any water source.
main dish food between our two packs.
Plastic bowls/utencils, Paper plates, Wipes
Bags for us adults will have proper utensils.
The next few kits I tried to keep very simple
and age appropriate, they can grow with her!
Wash Kit
Whistle and Bandana
Information Kit
Photo, copy of Alberta Health Card, and
Immunization Records.
Contents of Bag list
(no rifling through to remember, also has expiry dates
for food so that I know when to rotate it)
Family Photo has full Names and
Birth dates on it for everyone.
Good Idea for comfort and also for
Identification if we get separated.
How is a 3 year old going to tell a police officer
what I look like?
Last Item for the Outside of the bag is a
Last Minute List - Ms A's is pretty short.
Shoes, Coat, Stuffy, Blanket.
These will get more complicated as she grows.
Last but not least
3.Entertainment Kit
I had quite a bit of fun doing the research
and finding good ideas for this one!!
Bean Bag, dice, pen, crayon, pad, marbles,
small card game, string, straws, clothespins,
and a list of wonderful games to play with each item
and a few more!!
And one little surprise!
In and Out Pipe Cleaners.
This was quite a hit at the Relief Society evening.
Many saying they were going to make one for
Sacrament Meeting.
Ms. A already Loves this one, and can do most of it herself!
All the kits are in individual plastic bags to save time
in restocking and also for protection.
(food not tasting like soap, and toothpaste not exploding
all over the backpack and clothes!)
What belongs in her bag that is not pictured here
is one more shirt, one more pair of pj's and a Purification Straw.
These things are on my organization/purchase list.
I hope you enjoyed the peek into Ms. A's Bag.
Here's A list of links I hope you enjoy as much as I did!!
There is a lot! Take Your Time!
http://orgjunkie.com/2011/10/emergency-preparedness-kit.html?
utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+
ImAnOrganizingJunkie+%2528I%2527m
+an+organizing+junkie%2521%2529

http://www.parents.com/parenting/better-parenting/advice/emergency-preparedness/
http://ayearoffhe.blogspot.com/2011/11/72-hour-kits-pt-1.html
http://lifedesigncraft.blogspot.com/search/label/Home%20Management
http://www.doseofhappy.com/blog/2012/01/16/simple-play-pipe-cleaner-game/
http://sebastiandiaries.blogspot.com/2011/09/food-storage-frenzy.html
http://preparednotscared.blogspot.com/2010/01/preparedness-project-paint-can-heaters.html
http://positivelyprepared.blogspot.com/2009/09/72-hour-kits-week-1-food.html
http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/08/emergency-survival-72-hour-kits.html
http://themoesfamilyintexas.blogspot.com/2011/09/72-hour-kits.html
http://mohawkmolly.blogspot.com/2010/11/72-hours-of-fun-part-3.html
http://www.wannabecrafty.com/search/label/baby
http://endlesscrafting.blogspot.com/2011/01/in-case-of-emergencyday-21yesi-skipped.html
http://www.howdoesshe.com/72-hour-kits-for-kids
Your Awesome Jess!
ReplyDelete