Friday, December 14, 2012

Our Christmas Tree! aka chilling out!

So the first Monday night in December Shane took the girls down the street 
to the local store to get a tree (which we had been preparing for all day)
 vacuuming floors, digging out ornaments and moving furniture!! 
We had a fantastic time getting it up and ready. 
(dad spoiled us with eggnog and oranges as well)



We let the girls stay up late and watch dad finish lighting the tree. 


Then for a couple of days after we put on a few ornaments every morning 
ending with Ms. A's request for candy canes (for the tree).

I decided after the first day of decorating the tree with 
the girls that I must have just relaxed or maybe 
just enjoying my reality a bit more. 

The first year we were married I enjoyed my themed tree and 
all the trimmings that went together.  
We had Ms. A shortly after the next Christmas and again 
I enjoyed my themed tree.  
The next couple of Christmases I simply decorated about 1/2 the tree 
themed and other fun kid friendly stuff on the bottom.  
(kind of a split personality tree)

Now this year Ms. A was so impatient to get decorating the tree 
that she was already decorating by the time I found the 
appropriate decorations - she had draped the tree with her own 
necklaces, bead, toys, crafts, and fabric scraps.  

I began formulating a conversation in my head with my toddler,
 hoping to think of a compromise (without getting her too sad.)  
Needless to say my brain was either not functioning 
that well that morning or the solution was simply,
UM LET IT GO! Its just a tree after all.  
So I have. 
I continued to let her decorate the tree however she wants, 
and she still randomly decides to put her toys on the tree.  
But I love how it's growing!!


Who am I to squash her creativity because I like the thought of 
a perfectly decorated tree.  

Besides in 5 years I'll be happy I let her do it because 
she'll be happy to help me decorate my perfect tree then!!  
I have so many memories of doing this same thing 
with my siblings at our house growing up.  
Mom would sit in an easy chair handing out ornaments 
and my sister and I would decorate the tree 
with mom giving us some pointers.  

So I guess I've chilled out a bit or realized this is a tiny thing 
I can do without controlling in order to grow 
a lasting relationship with my girls!  
Ms. A is finally getting old enough that holidays are super fun 
for her and she is very excited to learn about and 
participate in each one.  
I'm definitely not going to let my over-controlling 
attitude squash that enthusiasm!!  
After all most holidays are way more fun with kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment