I thought I would give this outing a post all its own.
One of the goals we have as a family is to explore things
close to home more often.
I confess there are some things about living in the
Urban Sprawl of Calgary that still get under my skin
even after almost two years.
But we have also never lived closer to so much
developed outdoor space.
I have been trying to face some of my fears,
gradually learning more and more of
how the city's roadways work.
(Very Gradually!)
During spring break I decided that one day was
going to be an adventure day.
Mostly as I realized that if I was always waiting for Shane
to do any adventuring,
that was going to limit our summer adventures in a big way.
Shane has lots of scouting and work commitments this summer,
not to mention baby #5 making her appearance!!
So I packed a bag, packed up the kids and headed out in the van!
Facing my fears and giving myself a pep-talk!
We made our way to Heart Creek Trail (almost Canmore).
Oh and did I mention this was Ms. V's
first hike without a stroller?
Yeah, she's pretty much queen of the forest!
Checked the map, made a quick stop at the outhouse and
then set out to find as many bridges as we could before the kids
were done and just wanted to turn back.
We Crossed 4 of the 9 bridges and encountered ice, snow,
and numerous other families.
(even one with an adorable Pug that was being
carried by someone the whole outing!)
The kids did a pretty good job waiting
for ms. v to catch up to them.
I promised the kids we would come back in the fall and try again,
maybe then we would make it all the way to all the bridges!!
The kids had a grand time and I learned I needed to
definitely pack at least twice the amount of food that I did!
In the end I conquered a fear and got myself mentally prepped
for more adventuring with my favorite people ever!
PS Shane was more than a little gloomy he spent the day in the office!












No comments:
Post a Comment