Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Provident Living aka food storage and education (help wanted)

Ok so more than a year before we left for Ontario 
I became seriously obsessed with provident living and food storage.

Remember these posts???

Well along with these I was neck deep in meal planning, food storage, 
crock pots and a myriad of other projects regarding food storage. 
Including becoming involved in THRIVE a yummy line of freeze dried foods.


I had no idea how much this knowledge 
would bless our family so much later.

Soon after Shane dropped the news he was now unemployed 
I started thinking about things that I could do 
to soften our expenses and stretch our pennies.  
As a mom of course the first thing that came 
to my mind was kids and kitchen.  
Suddenly I had the opportunity to apply some of 
the knowledge that I had acquired. 

There were two things that I immediately 
thought of in regards to the kids.  
#1 I suddenly needed to make sure Ms. E was Potty trained 
(pull ups are convenient but expensive).  
#2 I also decided we could go ahead and move 
Mr. T from formula to whole milk. 
(Again formula being convenient but expensive).

Mr. T was a trooper and took the transition with ease.  
Ms. E on the other hand lingered and lingered and lingered 
(we are still lingering some days).

In the kitchen there were a number of things that were helpful.

I made a list of groceries that I was currently purchasing 
that were simply not essential. 
Of course I discussed the list with my husband, 
which turned into more than one discussion. 

Particularly Pickles - our kids love pickles, 
they would eat a jar of pickles a week!! 

HOLY PICKLED CHILDREN!!
I was certain Pickles were definitely not essential. 
Shane however was not.

Another was Kraft Dinner,


Shane would happily receive this for his birthday.  
He had NO idea that it cost almost 2 dollars for 
a box of noodles when it was not on sale.  
He enjoyed it so much we would cook 3 boxes 
at a time to feed our family.  
This quickly became a non essential. 
Shane did not pout for long.

Next I made a list of the dinners I could cook with food already in the house.  
I had moved 1000's of pounds of food across the country as our food storage. 
While Shane was working I was adding to that storage by purchasing extras of foods 
I regularly used while they were a good price.  
Cans of soup, flats of Asian noodles,  extra bottles of BBQ sauce and ketchup, 
cooking oil, cake mix and a myriad of other items that I regularly used in cooking.  
This store was building up and now the time was upon us to use it. 

There was some transition - not all of it easy.  
Freeze dried foods that I had purchased came with a bit of a learning curve, 
the kids had become used to having a discussion about what supper should be
(I love cooking - just hate deciding).  
Suddenly THIS is what is for supper, if you do not want to eat it 
you may have bread and peanut butter. 

Good thing that Shane and I both agreed that Peanut Butter was 
DEFINITELY a staple we should not do without!!
I readily admit that I was in denial about how much food 
we had in our house while Shane was working.  
I did not realize how much food we actually had until it began disappearing, 
and the shelves in the kitchen became more and more bare.
Shane had a similar experience, he eventually confided in me that  
the empty fridge at the end of the week depressed him very much.  
I was glad I had a simple answer for him.  
That empty fridge meant that we were doing things right.  
We were using every item we had on hand.  
An empty fridge at the end 
of the grocery week was not a sign we were failing, 
because we had resources to fill it every week.

I definietly do not pretend that we did this alone.
We were incredibly blessed during harvest by friends who would gladly 
share potatoes, squash and even fresh eggs.  


At Thanksgiving Shanes family brought us dinner 
and we had leftovers for weeks!!

I do believe that I was inspired along the way 
as to how I could conserve food, 
stretch food, and be more grateful for what we had.  
It was not just a coincidence to me when I would find diapers on sale 
for $19.99 instead of $26.99 and pullups for $7.99 instead of $14.99.  
I know that the Lord was looking out for this little family,
helping me find those things our family needed.  

When things were really tight I would stick to only essentials at the grocery store.  
Bread, milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, fresh fruit like apples, pears, and bananas 
and some fresh veggies like broccoli and carrots.  
For more than a month I fed my family on less than $80/week. 

I realize now that some of this is phrased in the past, 
I want it plainly known that we are still in the thick of things.  
In April we started receiving assistance from the church 
as even $80/week was looking scary.  

We truly reached the bottom of our barrel, Shane heading off to Alberta 
for training and work stretches us in different ways than just monetarily, 
it stretches us emotionally, mentally, and for me even physically. 

Next I'll be sharing our discovery of hidden pride 
that we did not even realize we carried with us.

3 comments:

  1. Jessica I admire your ability to see the positive in difficult situations and are willing to share so others can benefit from the learning curve you are sharing. Thank you. I find that dried beans/legumes can be a real benefit as they are very cost effective and fill bellies when you get the right recipes for your family. I hope you share some of your healthy ideas too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great example. It's been a tough few months. I am glad that there is starting to be light at the end of your tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! You are not alone. Hope things are still getting better. Have faith. When all else fails, pray.

    ReplyDelete